Why A Pediatric Dentist?
Has your child ever begged you not to leave the dentist? Impossible you say? Not at our office. It could be our gentle touch and special way with kids. Dr. Marc and our staff love children and are specially trained to put them at ease. At Pediatric Dentistry of Mullica Hill, we teach your children the proper way to take care of their teeth and just as important, they learn that going to the dentist can be fun!
What makes a Pediatric Dentist Different than a Family Dentist that Sees Kids?
Pediatric dentists are the pediatricians of dentistry. A pediatric dentist has two to three years specialty training following dental school and limits his/her practice to treating children only. Pediatric dentists are primary and specialty oral care providers for infants and children through adolescence, including those with special health needs. -www.aapd.org
All dentists are doctors of oral health. A general dentist typically completes an undergraduate degree, then goes on to complete four years of dental school to become a dentist, DDS or DMD. In order to become a pediatric dentist, a general dentist must then complete a minimum of 2 years of full-time residency training in all manners of pediatric dentistry and surgery. This includes:
- Treatment of medically compromised and special needs children
- Management of developmental and growth issues, as they relate to the mouth, jaw, face, and head
- Treatment of children under nitrous oxide administration or if needed, general anesthesia in a hospital or surgical center setting
- Management of preventive and invasive oral care of children
- Continuing Education on child psychology, childhood development, and recognizing needs for orthodontic care
Children have very different dental issues than adults do. Pediatric dentists are the most highly trained and uniquely qualified medical professionals to treat children’s dental problems and maintain their good oral health.
Benefits of Choosing a Pediatric Dentist
- Nurturing temperament: Pediatric dentists choose to work with children. They enjoy it! Working with children every day, all day, allows them to understand how to make kids feel comfortable and how to explain procedures and oral care in a way that they can understand.
- Staff are trained specifically on management techniques geared toward infants, children and teenagers
- Pediatric hospital affiliations: Pediatric dentists are more likely to be affiliated with pediatricians, children’s hospitals, and other specialists who can work as a team in managing your child’s overall health.
- Specialized pediatric equipment: Smaller equipment is needed for children due to the size of their mouths and the fragile nature of their primary teeth.
- Training for special needs children: Pediatric dentists are trained to treat children who are disabled, chronically ill, or mentally challenged. Some conditions require specialized dental care which a pediatric dentist is experienced at giving.
- Exceptional knowledge of childhood dental developmental stages: They have extensive knowledge on how children’s teeth and jaws should develop. They are highly familiar with the rapid growth and developmental changes associated with adolescent oral care, that is dental care for teenagers and young adults.
- Kid-friendly environment: Pediatric dental offices are specially designed with children in mind, from the furniture décor to the game room to the flavors of toothpaste offered. When children experience a pleasant, comfortable, child-centered environment during a dental visit, trust is established and confidence is promoted. Oftentimes, they even look forward to visiting the dentist!
While general dentists can offer similar services, a pediatric dentist is specially trained to diagnose, treat, and manage these conditions particular to children.
Our pediatric dental practice is based on love for children with the desire to provide a safe, comfortable and friendly place for them to learn about caring for their teeth, keeping a healthy mouth, and taking pride in their smile. When your smile is something you feel good about it becomes contagious and more often shared. And when a smile is shared, it carries with it a great gift that provides others something to smile about as well.
Educating our patients and their parents about proper dental care and optimal dental health is our ultimate goal. We strive to keep your kids cavity-free and teach you how you can help prevent decay and dental disease. We are dedicated to providing excellent pediatric dental care for our family of patients in a safe, fun and positive environment. For children that have cavities, we want them to have a positive experience while we restore their mouths back to a healthy state. We treat your children like they’re our own and understand that every child is an individual; unique in their experiences based on age, cognitive development, and previous medical and/or dental visits.
We are pleased that you have chosen us to provide dental care for your child. Our pediatric dental practice is focused on meeting the oral healthcare needs of infants, children, adolescents and persons with special needs. We look forward to establishing a life-long relationship of trust and confidence with you and your child to accomplish our goals of a fun, positive dental experience and quality care.